Saturday, October 15, 2005

EDM Challenge 36 - Drawing in Public


This is one of my favorite challenges so far. Here are some very quick studies, once again, done at the airport. People are difficult because they move around so much; even ever so slightly, can throw me off. So, I try to capture the "essence" of the pose and don't worry too much about the details. The funny thing is, even with these quick sketches, a glance back into my sketchbook immediately brings back vivid, detailed memories!

This month I have drawn at the airport, in a book store during a book reading by the author, at the first gig of a garage band, at the beach, in a bar, at a baseball game, on a bus, in a park and at a restaurant sitting outdoors until the "breeze" blew the lettuce off of my plate and into my lap.

The more I draw in public, the more I don't really think about it. I immediately get absorbed in what I am doing. An added benefit it is a great way to pass the time when you have to wait. It is also relaxing. It is starting to become a habit. The other day I started to "write" in my journal and after a sentence or two, found myself making a doodle of my foot. My drawings don't always turn out the way I want. At the bookstore for instance, I sat right up in the front row to attempted to draw the famous author giving a reading from her book. The drawing was a disaster, but I was thrilled. Why? Because: I sat in the front row and attempted to draw the famous author. It was the process I was thrilled with, not the results.

I have gone from being afraid to draw in public, to posting my work on a blog. We are all at different levels with our art. We have good days and bad. It is all a learning process.

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen Winters said...

Laurie, you've discovered the secret. It's the doing, not the done. And once drawing becomes a habit you'll never look at the world the same way again. Brava!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Felicity Grace said...

Well done Laurie, that's incredibly brave! I know I couldn't do it. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

2:19 AM  
Blogger Nita Van Zandt said...

Yay, I'm so with you on this! I went from hiding all doodles for years to brazenly putting things online in July--it's a life-changing opening. Congratulations!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

Laurie, very profound and well said. I think we can all relate to this. I think creating our Blogs is a vital first step.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Laurent Peters said...

Well said! I should try to draw in public, but i did not have the courage until now. Mainly, because I am afraid of the results. But you tell it well: "It was the process I was thrilled with, not the results".

12:37 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

OKAY! You've inspired me to just do it -- drawing in public, that is! You're very right in what you say, I think. Lovely drawings on your blog; I'll be back often.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home