Sunday, October 16, 2005

All That is Left



The name of this mixed-media piece I just finished is: All That is Left. I made it in reaction to all the recent natural disasters and the losses people have suffered that is totally out of their control.

This is a closeup of the center. It consists of transfers of my sketch (see the child's face?) and some of my photographs of old structures. The transfers are on silk organza overlaying silk gauze over white canvas. What you can't see in this picture is this 8.5 x 11 piece is mounted on a larger black canvas background that is embellished with acyrlic paints, cheesecloth, safety pins and buttons. I just wanted to post the closeup because of the sketch I used. I love the ghostly effect it has with all of the layers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Laurie, you have a very individual way of looking at the world. Very creative and expressive.

9:05 AM  
Blogger gabriella travaline said...

Very moving. Nice work.
-gabriella

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you took the time to react... this piece is haunting and fragile. I especially love the child's face.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home