Sunday, November 20, 2005

Poetry Slam





Thinking my day couldn't get better after a morning of drawing with friends in Saguaro East (see previous post Sketch Walk in Saguaro East), my husband, Rob, took me out to dinner that evening. While waiting for our food, I did a quick pastel sketch in my Moleskin of a bamboo plant on the table.


We then headed down to a poetry slam at the Espresso Art Coffee Shop. Before going inside for the slam, we couldn't resist riding the trolley. It was Rob's 1st time!







We finally got to the slam and I started off with a warmup watercolor sketch of an audience member. I really couldn't see any details in the hat, so I had to fake it. I also forgot to add soap to my water, so the Moleskin resisted the paints.

I tried to sketch the poets as they were performing, I had three minutes at the most, and sometimes less than that. We were impressed how talented all of the poets were. Here is a sketch of Lindsay and Teresa, they tied for first place.

I hope to get a scanner hooked up soon so I can show the images/drawings a bit better!

3 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Oh Laurie, these are neat sketches! I especially like the guy with the hat.

What a perfect ending to a wonderful day.

3:41 PM  
Blogger gabriella travaline said...

Laurie, I wish I lived near you! You do such incredibly fun things!!! I know we would have a blast!!!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Laurie this sounds like so much fun. Good for you adding some sketching to your enjoyment!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home