Monday, November 28, 2005

Fireplace - Agua Caliente Park



I went to my favorite park in Tucson, Agua Caliente. There is a natural spring feed that feeds three active wetlands. You can see turtles, ducks and and a wonderful assortment of birds, lots of drawing subjects! It is truly an oasis in the desert. I was planning to draw outdoors, or so I thought.....

until I noticed that the gallery was open in a restored ranch house on the property that also houses an Audobon Society nature shop. I also got a tour of the ranch house. After the tour, I couldn't resist going back into the living room and sitting on the Mission-style leather couch and drawing the fireplace they had just decorated for the season. It shows up better in my Moleskin of course. The drawing above the mantle is actually of a photograph, not a painting. I am happy with the way it came out, just wish my scanner picked it up better. Unforuntately, the scanner also didn't pick up the brick work I labored over. This is my first pencil sketch in a while, I usually just use black bic pen. I was please that the dimensions of the glass around the candles came out equal. which also doesn't show up as well. I spent over a couple of hours there, drawing, in a trance-like state. It was a relaxing way to unwind after my Thanksgiving holiday travels. It was good to be back home.

5 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Laurie, I saw Karen's 'corrected' version of this wonderful sketch and it made such a difference. It looks just like your real one.

You should use this for Xmas cards!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Great minds think alike.. I just had a go at correcting it - where can I see Karen's version? I'll have a trawl round EDM and see if I can find it - be interesting to see if she went the same rout as me

10:01 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

Lovely and cozy looking fireplace! Love the job you did on the mantel!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

It looks great to me! Very nice detail, and it does look just like a Christmas card. Is this the already corrected version? I was going to suggest that you be sure to scan in your pencil drawings as if they were color photos for the best detail.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Pequignot said...

I love the rich darks you have here. Fabulously deep!

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home